At the full performance level, the incumbent serves as a highly skilled specialist providing advanced petroleum engineering expertise in the field of reservoir engineering and drainage and operations engineering. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Investigating and analyzing complex engineering issues on Federal and Indian mineral estates.
- Analyzing, reviewing and promoting the use of more complex drilling rigs and drilling techniques and technology.
- Analyzing complex operational programs that ensure adequate resource protection, including cement types and placement techniques, alternative fluids and evaluation tests.
- Performing technical reviews and making recommendations for approval of all down-hole operations.
- Reviewing applications for permit to drill (APDs) ensuring company operations are to be conducted in a manner which protects hydrocarbon, water, and other mineralized zones.
- Reviewing proposed testing, logging, and coring program.
- Coordinating with the geological staff in review of APDs, ensuring mineral and fresh water intervals are identified.
- Evaluating geologic data provided and conferring with geologist in seeking further interpretation of conflicting or inconclusive data.
- Reviewing Sundry Notice applications for oil and gas operations that include installation of measurement meters/facilities, approval of gas flaring/venting, off-lease measurement/storage of hydrocarbons, surface/down hole commingling, and disposal of produced water, and plugging and abandonment of drilling or depleted wells.
- Identifying potential drainage situations using standard engineering and ecomonic principles, including decline curve analysis, ultimate recoverable reserves and economic limit and coordinating with the Reservoir Management Group to provide input and further analysis.
- Providing technical support to the reservoir management group for unit paying well determinations.
- Overseeing technical inspections of drilling completion, work over and plugging/abandonment operations to ensure that operations are conducted in a safe and workmanlike manner.