At the full performance level, the incumbent of this position will perform the following duties:
- Conduct and direct the full range of consumer protection functions for investigations and projects of the greatest scope and complexity concerning enforcement of consumer protection statutes and rules under FTC jurisdiction, making recommendations from investigations that change the interpretation of laws and influence the development and modification of significant policies or programs.
- Objectively review and evaluate reports received from consumers and electronic databases to identify trends and locate potential targets for investigation. Draft declarations summarizing consumer experiences to use in litigation.
- Analyze and synthesize bank records, balance sheets, income statements, regulatory filings, annual reports, tax returns, ledgers, statements of cash flow and other financial documents and reports. Utilize financial documents and reports to assist in identifying potential targets for law enforcement action, extent of consumer harm and location of assets. Draft reports and memoranda summarizing complex financial information from multiple sources.
- Analyze voluminous reports and supporting documentation involving critical and sensitive issues/cases, utilizing a variety of software/hardware to develop the case. Prepare case summaries as required and brief appropriate persons.
- Plan, arrange and execute all aspects of highly complex investigative actions, including travel and coordination with appropriate officials from multiple jurisdictions.
- Conduct onsite investigative actions to collect evidence, including documentation and witness/subject/suspect statements. The incumbent determines the appropriate form in which statements will be obtained (e.g., interviews, sworn testimony/statements).
- Plan, coordinate, and participate in investigative support during trial. Draft and assist in drafting questions to ask during the hearing/trial. Provide substantive ideas for material or evidence to subpoena.
- Conduct discreet, confidential, formal and informal fact-finding examinations. Provide expert technical advice and recommendations to agency officials.
- Analyze investigative reports for the presence of critical and sensitive issues that may warrant special handling and provide advice to agency officials for subsequent action needed. Present conclusions and recommendations in writing in investigative declarations, prepare case summaries and brief appropriate persons.
- Analyze and synthesize voluminous consumer complaint data.
- Analyze and synthesize customer relationship management data obtained during the course of FTC investigations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.