The individual selected for this position will serve as an Assistant General Counsel. The Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for providing advice and guidance related to the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA), PRIVACY ACT, AND/OR FEDERAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE ACT (FACA). Additionally, the Assistant General Counsel will:
- Counsel top management of Directorate(s) with respect to legal and policy aspects of major awards and declined proposals.
- Author and present substantive, procedural, and administrative regulations and policies. Determines need for implementation of rule- making procedures. Consults with and renders opinions to all levels of management in interpreting and applying such regulations.
- Provide legal representation for the Foundation in difficult negotiations with contractors and their attorneys in attempting to settle disputes and claims arising from contracts and grants. Negotiates settlements.
- Provide legal representation for the Foundation in negotiations of terms of contracts and grants in difficult situations when requested by the Contracting or Grants Officer.
- Identify facts and issues to determine the nature of the legal problem, conducts legal research, and provides written and oral legal advice.
- In disputed cases, prepare Foundation's case and present it before the appropriate tribunal, which may be administrative, trial or appellate.
- Determine approach after analysis of legal theories. Plan and conduct investigations. Weigh the evidence. Determine alternative legal strategies.
- Prepare proposed complaints and other legal documents such as trial briefs, subpoenas, motions, answers, depositions, proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law, and appeal briefs.
- Select and prepare witnesses. Examine and cross examine lay and expert witnesses.