The individual selected for this position will serve as an Evaluator who will utilize his/her professional knowledge and education in a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related field to:
The individual selected for this position will ensure that evaluations are useful and that evaluation findings and recommendations are understood and assimilated by the program officers through:
- Carry out the design of evaluations of complex research and STEM programs, policies and cross-cutting themes.
- Lead effectively evaluations conducted by NSF staff and/or consultants/contractors, including the completion and dissemination of final reports.
- Ensure that evaluations meet high professional evaluation standards in line with NSF Evaluation Policy.
- Analyze administrative data and conduct requested special analyses of major STEM issues.
- Critique and/or synthesize evaluation plans of awards in the strategic research investment portfolio.
- Facilitate the use of emerging text mining and visualization tools for transparency and accountability tasks.
- Use innovative methods to determine policy impact based on research and evaluation findings.
- Ensure that up-to-date evaluation techniques and approaches are applied, such as ensuring continuous methodological improvement of and support to evaluation activities, outcome monitoring and the relationship with business intelligence and portfolio analysis systems.
- Develop and advise on requirements for evaluations and statements of work for contracting purposes.
- Keep abreast of developments in the area of evaluation as well as contributing to the development and review of policies, guidance, systems, procedures and tools related to evaluation.
- Work with other NSF evaluation units as well as Federal and professional evaluation bodies to identify and disseminate innovative and best practices for the evaluation of research and STEM education.
- Participating in the preparation of briefings and reports to program management and senior leadership on findings, recommendations and lessons learned of strategic importance.
- Organizing meetings, workshops and other discussion forums to establish a dialogue on evaluation results (recommendations/ lessons learned).
- Designing and implementing an Evaluation Capacity Development training program for NSF Program Directors.